12.26.2011

DISCOVER 365: Day 362

Artist: New Kids on the Block
Album: Merry, Merry Christmas


This one's going to be short and sweet, but no less influential or worth checking out. New Kids on the Block were my first musical obsession, the first band I bought every album that came out. I also went as far to rent a few of their VHS performances at the old Video Vault next to the hospital. I have no pride or shame.

Besides the "obvious" hits like "Step by Step" or "Hangin' Tough," I was also a proud owner of the New Kids' Christmas album, Merry, Merry Christmas. If you're having a hard time remembering exactly how awful the late 80's/early 90's truly were when it came to taste, simply check out this album and realize this was the most popular band on Earth at the time. They were The Backstreet Boys and N*Sync all rolled into one. So big that songs like "Funky, Funky Christmas" were allowed to make it onto an album.

Along with a Sony Walkman and MC Hammer's Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em, this casette was stolen from an unsuspecting, schoolbus-riding, flattop-wearing 7-year-old prior to Christmas in 1990. I was devastated. But looking back, continuing to allow this type of music to shape my preferences could've had even worse repurcussions. But it is so much fun to look back on and somehow remember the lyrics to "This One's For the Children".

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Year Released: 1989

# of Tracks: 10

Label: Sony

Best Lyric: "He said you left the fire burning and I burnt my butt; So now I 've learned you've got to turn the fireplace down so Santa won't get burned" - Funky, Funky Xmas (those are seriously the actual lyrics)

Best Track: "Funky, Funky Xmas" - only because it's so, so awful and I remember loving it so, so much.


No comments: