12.29.2011

DISCOVER 365: Day 361

Artist: Various Artists
Album: "Up In The Air" Soundtrack


There are days when I dread going into work. There are days when I wish I had nothing to do. There are days I truly take for granted how lucky I am to have a stable job and paycheck. And then there's the movie, "The Company Men."

I had seen the preview a few months ago and thought it looked promising, but I never gave it a second thought. Critics seem to rip everything Ben Affleck has done since Good Will Hunting and Tommy Lee Jones has seemed to play only a slight variation of his character from "The Fugitive" and "U.S. Marshals" for the last 15 years. But "the girl" decided it would be worth a watch and I spent the next two hours thanking my lucky stars for everything I have in this world. Like my "Barney's Version" recommendation from a few days ago, I highly recommend this film if you have two hours to kill watching it and two hours to be slightly depressed after watching it.

The central plot of "The Company Men" reminded me a lot of the Clooney-driven "Up in the Air" - another great movie with an even more amazing soundtrack. The key track of this soundtrack is "Help Yourself" by Sad Brad Smith, an artist's whose name is a good indication of his sound. Because Youtube didn't come through with a clip of the scene, you'll have to watch it yourself to truly appreciate what we have here. But in the meantime, enjoy the shared video below to get a highlight clip of the movie set to this wonderful song.


Besides Smith's amazing track, the soundtrack also boasts well-placed selections from Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (I require them as a quartet), the late Elliot Smith, Graham Nash, and Dan Auerbach. Additionally, there's an extra funky version of "This Land is Your Land" from Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. It's worth checking out, but I truly ask you watch the movie first.

Year Released: 2009

# of Tracks: 14

Label: Warner Music

Best Lyric: "I know you'll help us when you're feeling better; And we realize it might not be for a long, long time" - Help Yourself - Sad Brad Smith

Best Track: "Help Yourself"

No comments: