11.07.2011

Another Weekend of Close Calls

Down by 4, 92 yards to the end zone and under 3 minutes needing a touchdown. Against the Steelers' defense. That usually is not the recipe for a methodical march to victory, but somehow the Ravens and their "confidence regressing" quarterback pulled it off and prevented me from posting a 5-2 record on my first Sunday under the microscope.

One can't complain when things don't go their way, but I was basically wrecked by five teams this weekend who had no business of wrecking themselves or me. I completely understand it's part of the game we're playing, but this seems to be a pattern of heartbreak I've never experienced before. Actually, every weekend has been that way as of late, starting with Wisconsin deciding to make Michigan State's QB a Flutie. Let's take a look at the culprits this weekend and exactly how they did it:

1.) Florida Gators (-13) - Up 17-0 at halftime against Vandy at home, this one looked like it was locked up and gave me a good feeling about getting the entire weekend off to a good start. Then somehow they allow Vandy to get back in the game. A late touchdown by Demps looked like it was going to save the day, but they failed on the two-point, leaving them only up by 12 with just over two minutes to play. To make matters worse, they allow Vandy and Rodgers, Jr. to score with 1:12 left and cut the lead to 5. Guess who had them in a teaser at -6? Guess who got all the other games in that teaser correct?

2.) Nebraska Cornhuskers (-15.5) - I'm still trying to believe ESPN just entered the progress of this game backwards on Scorecenter. Why is the Big 10 the most unreliable conference in college football? Can no team put two straight weeks together? Northwestern came in, scored a quick touchdown, and then held on to the lead at halftime 7-3. Cue the halftime bet. The Wildcats then came out in the second half with their BACKUP QB and proceeded to score what seemed to be every time I hit refresh on my phone. Only game missed in a 4-Team Parlay. Ridiculous.

3.) Arizona State Sun Devils (-6.5) - UCLA is horrible. They've been horrible all year. That pistol offense they attempt to run has been smoking less than the chair that Rick Neuheisel is sitting on. Arizona State can score and score in bunches. Plus their defense is just good enough to completely man-handle UCLA. These were all the thoughts running through my head with constructing this one. And then I picked them and UCLA actually wins the game outright. Only game missed in 5-Team Parlay.

4.) St. Louis Rams (+3) - A field goal to win a game in which you've scored 4 points off of safeties. That's meant to be if I've ever heard it. Unfortunately, I included it, so meant to be was thrown out the window. Field goal blocked at the end of regulation and a  Patrick Peterson punt return TD to seal my fate. Seriously, how many times does a team actually score the TD in overtime? Only game missed in a 4-Team Parlay.

5.) Pittsburgh Steelers (-3) - Not a huge deal, but if they don't get that ridiculous delay of game penalty just before the two minute warning, Suisham gets a chance to kick the FG to give them a 7-point lead, which means Flacco's "career-defining drive" only ties the game.

I always say, "It's not how you start, it's how you finish." And believe me when I tell you that I've already laughed all of these off and have turned the page. It's just sometimes good to see that other people are barely missing just like you, so I'm glad to be that step back from the ledge for you. Just like Flacco makes Anthony Davis feel better about being a stud athlete with a college case of unibrow.

No comments: