11.22.2008

Saturday Night Flashback: Boyz II Men

For this innaugral post, I decided to stretch outside of what has become the "approved" genre of this site. Rather than focus on the truly underappreciated before-their-timeness of Hootie and the Blowfish or take-me-back-to-Colt-Cafe-goodness of Bush, I've decided to focus on the best thing to come out of Philly since Ryne Sandberg.

I don't know who in today's music scene is most comparable to the Boyz II Men of the mid-90's. There's definitely not an R&B group. Maybe Coldplay? John Mayer? You have to understand that EVERYBODY listened to them. Your mom did. Possibly your grandparents. And with all the music flowing out there right now, is there a current artist out there for ALL generations?


So what would bring on this sudden rekindling of love for MotownPhilly? Funny you should be prompted to ask. See, my DVR has been broken for the past two weeks and it's left me in total disarray. Not to catch up on "The Office" (that's why God made Hulu). Not to see just how close my hair is starting to look like Chuck Bass' on Gossip Girl (it's slowly getting there). No, it's because for the last two weeks I've had a Boyz II Men Motown Special recorded and have been unable to view it. But last night, I finally tapped in. And it was well worth it.

Singing Motown classics while sprinkling in some of their own hits, Boyz II Men put on a show. They started out with "Motown Philly" of the CooleyHighHarmony album, the show was kicked off how you would have expected. But then the boyz went into covers of such songs as "Tracks of My Tears" (still think Gavin DeGraw's version is better) and "Easy (Like Sunday Morning)". And as always, the boys were on their game. They just don't make harmonies like that.

Blatantly missing from the foursome was their fourth. Bassist Michael McCary was no where to be seen on stage. A Wikipedia confirmation proved that McCary actually retired from the biz in 2003 due to complications with scoliosis. So many puns to make right there but I don't want to seem crooked. I truly believe the day he retired had to be the saddest day since they blew up the chicken man. And sad for the boyz as well because, although their performances were great, you could tell there really was a piece missing on some their hits.


One of the biggest reasons Boyz II Men has such a place in my heart is because their hits were huge at a time when my musical experience was dominated by Top 40 radio and MTV/VHI video countdowns (if you're unfamiliar with this idea, ask Uncle Mike about it one day and I'll be glad to tell you about the oldin' days). And "On Bended Knee," one of the biggest hits from the Boyz in complimenting sweater vests, supplied a deeply-delivered line that I have found to be the best argument/apology icebreaker in the world. You know what it is. You've at least thought about using it: "Baby, I'm sorry. Please forgive me for all the wrong I've done. Please come back home girl." CLASSIC!!!! And check out Lisa Turtle looking hot in the Kangol!

To sum it up, Boyz II Men are most comparable to a $5 bill you find in an old jacket. You really didn't need or miss them over the past decade but you're so happy when you find them again! See below for my Top 5 Boyz II Men songs off all-time:

1. On Bended Knee


2. Thank You (I know it wasn't the most popular, but I loved it!!)


3. One Sweet Day f. Mariah Carey


4. Water Runs Dry


5. It's So Hard to Say Goodbye To Yesterday (only "Tears in Heaven" beats this for ultimate funeral song)

No comments: