11.13.2008

Breaking the Seal, Popping the Cherry

For my official first entry to this blog, I do not feel it necessary to tell you anything about me personally . . .the entries that follow over the next two-day to ten-year stretch will more than satisfy that. And while information such as my parents' names, school I'll be attending in the fall, and local pork producer who is sponsoring me tonight are all things people judging me and my body of work should know, I feel the details are best left to the imagination at this point. For now, it's all about the music.



My blogging partner approached me about a month and a half ago wondering if I'd be interested in starting something like this. At first I was skeptical of his seriousness and concerned of the free time I had available to complete such a tall task. After all, with Gossip Girl on Mondays, 90210 on Tuesdays, and football the rest of the week, my schedule already feels pretty full. By comprising this, this blog could be a serious risk to the current balance I am striking between my masculine sports drive and my inner 16-year-old snobby female.

But now as I lie in bed at 12:20 in the AM, scribbling the initial draft of this entry on a yellow legal pad with a blue pen that has left my hand looking like a Smurf had a serious "spotting" episode, I realize the drive is most definitely there. Never in my life has music affected me in the way it has over the past couple months. Like a Stackhouse boy on "V," it's like I can just hear things in a way I never thought possible. Things have started to move me and it's almost like music and I have finally started to click . . .and I dig it.

Moreover, I don't think there's ever been a better time to be a music fan. I look back on the late 90's/early 00's and realize I'm lucky to appreciate any music at all. Between Backstreet Sync Degrees and the Blink Charlotte 41's of the past, we're lucky to have any music scene left. I feel we're truly in some type of musical renaissance right now that we need to embrace for as long as possible. And I feel there's no better time for lifelong friends and brand new acquantainces to have a place to go to share what they're listening to right now or what they've been listening to forever. There's too much good stuff out there for any one person to find on their own.

So I hope you'll enjoy what is to come of this project. I think I can speak for both of us when I say it will consist of a little bit of everything. Roger and I will provide as many new ideas as possible, but this is a blog where the comments are just as important as the material posted. Everything we post here is an opinion and opinions are meant to be challenged and praised. The real show begins tomorrow and here's hoping we all can take something out of this!!

No comments: