9.13.2012

this wolf ain't worth the fight

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” --Friedrich Nietzsche

                I have to light up the musica side of this blog since it has recently become overrun with picks and power rankings and the like. I don’t mean to return to Bowerbirds because they’re my favorite band, but they just happen to be who I’m thinking about in this moment, and in many other moments since I first listened to a certain song of theirs. And by listen I mean transcend, so to speak, because until you’ve done that with a song, you’ve really just heard it.
                Let me give you the background—then I’ll give you the song. Two Christmases ago was spent for me in Minnesota, as it was understood that it would be my grandpa’s last. After 4 days of coop in my grandparent’s house, a lot of inane conversation, and 17 rounds of Kings in the Corner, I decided I wanted to get out for a bit. It was late and there was no place to go except the movies. I couldn’t round up a cousin to go with me, so I went by myself. That’s a lie, I didn’t ask anyone to go with me. I fish-tailed my way from the Minnesota border to North Dakota and went to see a midnight showing of Black Swan by myself on Christmas night.
                After the movie, I decided I wanted to smoke a cigarette, so I went to a gas station on sort of a remote road, because that’s what you do when you’re in unfamiliar territory at 2 o’clock in the morning. I bought the cigarettes, felt guilty about it, and returned to the car. I sat in the driver’s seat and took out my iPod, because I didn’t want to fool with my grandma’s AM stations. I put on Bowerbirds’ The Ticonderoga, and just sat in the car and listened, the sky black and the dirty snow a pale resemblance, wondering about the people who trucked in and out of that gas station. The lyrics didn’t pertain to anything or anyone I knew or ever had known, but I thought about my life in those 4 + minutes, then played it again because sometimes you need more than 4 minutes. I thought about how strange it was that it was Christmas and I was in a parking lot in my grandma’s ’97 Park Avenue, wearing her boots because I hadn’t packed appropriate shoes for a winter in Minnesota. I thought about how 5 days ago I had been home with my husband, folding laundry and watching something on cable television, walking my dog, the norm. And now I was in Fargo, Fargo of all places, listening to my iPod, freezing despite the heat emitting from the giant leather seat beneath me. I thought about my grandpa, and my parents, and wondered if any of them had ever had a moment in a parking lot or a room or a bus where they thought about their lives, and who they were, and what they still wanted to be. Maybe this is weird, that I listened to this song alone with my thoughts and too-tight shoes in the middle of this random place. But life is weird, and music can be weird, and I don’t know how living daydreams without music or not seeing life in terms of notes could ever be regular.
                So each time I hear The Ticonderoga, I’m brought back to that night, when too afraid to be outside of my car in that lot, I smoked my one cigarette outside of my grandparents' garage, later praying for more snow to screen the ash. I do love Bowerbirds, especially their softer cuts, in particular this one, a tale of destruction and willingness to allow it, or something like that.  It isn’t just a hymn for a dark horse, but for a 26-year-old girl completely satisfied with the life’s she’s in, but also welcoming of a parking lot in Fargo, where for 8 minutes she can reflect a little, then go back.

No comments: