12.22.2011

You've Only Got One Year to Make Shit Happen

Going into October 22, 2011, I told myself that my 28th year on this planet would be great. 28 Great. Great 28. Whatever you want to call it. It's the last year your age on paper can still be interpreted as young. 29 kind of looks smug, likes it bracing for what it knows is coming.

So far, my prospects for pulling off my pledge of greatness are coming through, as long as you define "greatness" as "life-changing". But one thing that hasn't taken off as I wanted it to has been both the velocity and volume by which this site sees new posts. I've let myself and all those involved down. I'm still waiting for it to hit this point of content where I gladly refer people to it rather than just mentioning it as an idea.

My entire life I've always had to do things as a total overhaul in order to be motivated by the final product. If I wanted to organize some baseball cards, I wanted to organize EVERY baseball card. If I wanted to build something with Legos, I wanted to use EVERY Lego to build it. It's why I have to have things get real dirty before I do a thorough clean. It's why things in my life have to get completely out of order before I decide to do something about it. It's why 5-team teasers are my go-to instead of 2-team teasers. I need to see a recognizable difference in the After picture than what it was Before. And it's why, in order to get myself to post more frequently, I'm going to make a commitment to post everyday rather than just say I'm going to post "more often."

I was rummaging between Kardashian and Tebow stories on Yahoo! today when I ran across the fact we are 365 days away from what the Mayan calendars predict to be the end of the world. Now don't get me wrong, I don't believe the world will actually end that day but it's interesting to think about. What if we only had one year left to do everything we wanted to do? And we were able to pull everything off without breaking the bank so bad we couldn't afford for the world to continue? Bucket list on a budget. And what if it wasn't backpacking in Paris or climbing a big mountain or reaching our 29th birthday, but it was simply about making sure you had musically experienced everything you could possibly like. I'll give you that's probably impossible. But if this blog can turn one person into an avid fan of one artist, one song, one album, or one style, then it has truly done its job.

So ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce to you the most overzealous project in the history of lazy writers:

Discover 365: 
An album a day before we're all blown away

I will be posting an album a day that everyone should check out or rediscover before nothing happens on 12/21/12. The key criteria:
  1. I have to have owned the album at some point in my life (which could include the future if I buy it between now and writing a post about it)
  2. I have to have reasons why I like the album
  3. They don't have to be good reasons
  4. As of 12:22 on 12/22, they will not be listed in any order
This will totally fall through. But the build-up will be exciting.

No comments: