12.31.2011

DISCOVER 365: Day 359

Artist: Alison Krauss
Album: Now That I've Found You


Have you ever had a moment where you're watching TV and you zone out and then you realize you've been watching The Food Network for the last 45 minutes? If you haven't, we have nothing to talk about here. But if you have, you'll kind of understand where I'm coming from with this entry.

Alison Krauss has one of those amazing Bluegrass voices that seems to possess the twang you'd expect while adding a soul and sultriness that kind of sneaks up on you. Additionally, Krauss has the luxury of teaming up with maybe the greatest backing band in country music, Union Station, and its country-smooth lead singer Dan Tyminski and dobro legend, Jerry Douglas.And when you possess those qualities, your sound has the ability to make someone forget there's anything else in the world while listening to your music. It would never be the first album you pick up out of the stack, but it's never one you'll turn off if it's already playing.


Mixed with an unfair combination of vocal and instrumental skill, Krauss first made an impression on me with this 1995 album and it's collection of great songs from start to finish. The album was almost like a greatest hits and covers release, with The Beatles "I Will" and Keith Whitley's "When You Say Nothing At All" headlining multiple takes on other artists' originals. But rather than the tracks, it's Krauss' voice that truly shines on this album, especially in the way she can make even the saddest lyrics sound angelic. It's these songs that now get lost in her catalog, as her increased fame from teaming up with Robert Plant made everything prior to that album seem like it was from a different artist.

I'll always associate this entire album with lazy weekends and road trips with my parents during my pre-driver's license days and me and mom making fun of the way she sings the word "Georgia" in the Bad Company cover "Oh Atlanta."  On my way back to Juh-uh-did-juh. 

Year Released: 1995

# of Tracks: 12

Label: Rounder / Umgd

Best Lyric: "I read between the lines of words you can't disguise" - Every Time You Say Goodbye

Best Track: "I Don't Believe You've Met My Baby" - Amazing cover of the Louvin Brothers original that tells the story of a woman realizing her man has another woman in his life


No comments: