12.16.2008

Vampire Weekend: Watch out for them

Oxford shirts, sweater vests, and penny loafers. Could any three items better describe one of the year's best up-and-coming bands? These are the type of guys that bring prejudice out in people. The preppy, "too cool for school" attitude is enough to turn away the most open of minds. But this is Vampire Weekend.


A few months ago I set out to find some of the better rated albums of 2008, and continuously found the self-titled debut album of Vampire Weekend at the top of the lists. Once I brought myself to start the "V"....I fell hard. Telling everyone that would listen about the band. I honestly can't describe what it is about Vampire Weekend that captures me so. There is a certain 50's sound that is apparent in the band's music. I heard a Buddy Holly song last night that made me laugh at the similarities of the styles (kudos Jason).

The album has definitely exceeded my expectations. From the many articles read that so sold the album as one of the year's best, I felt as though I was setting myself up for disappointment but instead I came away with a different perspective about the preppy, frat-boy band from Columbia University <---- I realize that was a run-on sentence. Check them out and you might realize the same.

No comments: